This was a fun little adventure in my kitchen. It is starting to get warmer and more springlike around these parts, and I just wanted to celebrate spring while still being prepared for the cold, through a muffin! I actually started out just using blackberries, but the strawberries were so juicy and beautiful, I had to show them some culinary love as well! So I did half blackberry brie, and half strawberry brie muffins. They were both great, although I was a bigger fan of the blackberry ones just because they are my favorite berry!
They came out moist and smelling incredible. even my picky eating friend who said, “What is brie? I won’t be messing with those.”, he liked them both! So that is a sign of success in my kitchen, and so these muffins get an A+!
So, you will need…
*yields 12 muffins
- 1 3/4 C. All-Purpose flour
- 1/2 C. Granulated Sugar
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 Egg, beaten
- 3/4 C. Milk
- 1/4 C. Canola Oil
- 1/2 C. Fresh Blackberries, or Fresh Strawberries cut into pieces
- 1/2 C. Brie cut into pieces – they can be as big or as small as you want. I cut off the rind, but that is also up to you
Here was my process…
- Preheat the oven to 400 Degrees F and prepare the muffin pan with liners or grease.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl whisk egg until fluffy, about 1 minute.
- Add milk and oil to egg, whisk for another 30 seconds or so.
- Make a well in the center of the dry mixture, and add the wet mixture. Mix until everything is combined.
- Add blackberries or strawberries and brie to mixture, mix well.
- Spoon into prepared muffin pans, bake at 400 degrees F for 18-20 minutes until muffin tops are a slight golden blonde.
I think these are best when they are warm, I even put some fat free frozen yogurt on mine! But they are great at any temperature and they can be enjoyed at anytime!