I can’t resist the taste or smell of browned butter. I am feeling a little “snacky” these days, thank you nature, and all I can think about is guacamole and browned butter. So, I turned it into a cookie! Not the guac, haha, I have to let perfection lie on that one.
This cookie has a crisp delicate body that literally melts away in your mouth. The lack of egg gives it so much character, and it almost acts as a less dense shortbread. It is a very different cookie, and it is delicious and versatile.
These are a lot of recipes for this cookie out there, mine is a little different because I use a little Maple Sugar in mine. I like to pay homage to my home state in my baking. It actually really makes a difference. The taste is so smooth and savory. I like the idea of a savory cookie. Maybe next time I will toss some Taleggio Cheese in there.
After spending the last few days working with chocolates, blogs are on their way, I wanted something less sweet, more satisfying . The smell wafting from the oven is worth it alone. It makes my home smell like heaven. And yes, my version of heaven is filled with butter!
So, you will need…
- 2 Sticks Sweet Cream, Unsalted Butter
- 2/3 C. Granulated Sugar
- 1 Tbsp. Maple Sugar, a little maple goes a long way
- 2 1/3 C. All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 tsp. Coarse Sea Salt, plus extra to sprinkle on top.
Here was my process…
- Preheat oven to 325 Degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a heavy saucepan, melt butter on low heat until browned. About 7-9 minutes.
- Once butter is browned remove from heat and add granulated sugar and Maple Sugar. Stir in until well combined. Don’t wait for the sugar to dissolve because it isn’t going to. 😉 Let cool for about 5 minutes until cooled.
- Combine the flour and baking powder and slowly mix into the butter mixture until a smooth delicious dough forms.
- Roll dough into 1 inch balls and place on prepared baking sheets. Give each ball a little room to expand.
- Bake at 325 degrees F. for 18-20 minutes or until edges start to look golden blonde.
You can pair this cookie with a creamy soft cheese and some fruit, or toss it on top of a nice bowl of frozen custard. There is no wrong way to eat these. Plus the smell is intoxicating, so even if you don’t like cookies, bake them! Plus it gives your guy a little something to look forward to. Which makes him super sweet and compliant 😉