Nothing says “I love you” like fresh-baked goods containing chocolate! Well, I guess flowers might help too, wink, wink. But fresh-baked muffins for quick on the go breakfasts are just as sweet! Realistically I can’t produce a huge fantastic breakfast seven days a week, and I love any excuse to eat chocolate in the morning. I’m telling you, these muffins could be a dessert… but they are categorized as a breakfast food, thank you very much!
The key to these muffins is Double-Dutch Dark Cocoa. I buy mine from King Arthur Four, and it is the perfect combination of black cocoa and Dutch cocoa so the color is deep and rich. Not to mention the amazingly decadent flavor. This is the fanciest way to eat breakfast… at least in my house on a non-holiday.
Here is what you will need…
- 1 3/4 C. All Purpose Flour
- 3/4 C. Sugar
- 3 Tbsp. Cocoa
- 2 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- 1 C. Milk
- 1/2 C. Coconut Oil ( you can use Vegetable Oil if you prefer)
- 1 Egg
- 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 1 C. Dark Chocolate or Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips…. again, I prefer Ghirardelli
Here was my Process…
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and prepare muffin pan with parchment liners.
- In a large mixing bowl or mixer combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder and baking soda. Mix gently until combined.
- In a small bowl whisk the egg and milk until foamy and set aside.
- Add oil and vanilla to dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Add milk mixture and beat until smooth.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin tins. This recipe makes 12 regular sized muffins or 7 large muffins…. I know, what and odd number!
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Let cool on a wire rack, BUT… If you can, eat one while it is still warm… you can thank me later.