I was trying to think of the perfect Father’s day treat, and I had a few ideas, but I wanted to do something special. So, I thought of the things my dad enjoys, and Honey was right at the top of that list. And who doesn’t like a doughnut?! So, I took the ‘love of Honey’ idea and turned it into a delicious baked treat. This is a masculine doughnut with bold flavors, yet light in consistency and low in fat. Win win!
And just like with anything else that is sweet, a little bit of honey goes a long way!
So, you will need…
- 1 c. Whole Wheat Pastry Flour ( makes a more tender doughnut)
- 1/2 C. Granulated Sugar
- 1 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1 tsp. Cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp. Brown Sugar
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- 3 Tbsp. Canola Oil
- 2 Large eggs
- 2 Tbsp. Buttermilk
- 1 Tbsp. Honey
* I used the cinnamon sugar butter from the popover recipe to “grease” the doughnut pan.Just for a little extra pizzazz.
Here was my process…
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Grease doughnut pan with cinnamon sugar butter.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Whisk, and set aside.
- Combine eggs, buttermilk, Canola Oil and honey in another bowl. Whisk until mixture is foamy.
- Pour wet mixture over dry mixture and mix just until combined.
- Put dough into a pastry bag and pipe into each doughnut form until half full.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 10 minutes.
- At 7 minutes, brush tops of doughnuts with cinnamon sugar butter.
- Remove from pan and let cool completely before glazing.
- While the doughnuts are cooling, you can whip up the glaze. I used 1/4 C. Brown Sugar, 1/4 C. Confectioners Sugar and added 1 tablespoon of Milk at a time until I got the consistency that I wanted.
These are a low fat doughnut so make sure to have at least two! They are light and not too sweet, and sooo easy to make.