Yay!!! Summer is upon us and there is no end in sight. The endless possibilities of summer treats make me feel like I could bake forever! I have three pages of things I want to create and share with my loved ones. The fresh squeezed lemonade, strawberries and cream, fresh green salads… and watermelon! The flavors go on and on. For today I settled on Oranges and Honey. Yummy yummy!
I wanted a cookie that would be able to make a sort of “Dreamsicle” type Ice Cream Sandwich. SO, I made Orange Honey cookies and used some 1/2 fat vanilla bean ice cream for the filling. The ice cream complimented the cookies so well, you would think that the ice cream company had invented this cookie. Alas, it was I… just a simple baker.
So, you will need…
- 2 C. All Purpose Flour
- 2 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 C. + 2 Tbsp. Canola Oil
- 1/4 C. Honey
- 1 C. Granulated Sugar
- 1 Tbsp. Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice, yes, freshly squeezed!
- 1 Egg
Here was my process…
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine canola oil, honey, sugar, orange juice and egg. Beat with mixer of your choice until all ingredients are well combined.
- Pour dry mixture into wet mixture and mix until all ingredients are incorporated. DO NOT over beat.
- Spoon dough onto prepared baking sheets allowing room to spread.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 9-11 minutes, until sides are a lovely honey brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely before creating a Cookie Ice Cream Sandwich!
These cookies are surprisingly delicious and work very well in this situation! They are also good on their own, or with milk. Milk and honey after all, are very good friends.