First of all let me start by saying…… YES! These were such a hit in my house as well as my dear friend Jessica’s house. They passed the five-year old test and won over the thirty something crowd without any hesitation. These cookies are going to be a new classic for me, and I am proud to present that to you!
I have been a real stick in the mud the past week or so and my poor boyfriend was so overly patient and understanding of my irrational ways. I decided that the only true way to say “I’m Sorry” was with cookies. He eats and claims to like all of my baking, so I thought I would make something that he always asks for, soft-batch chocolate chip cookies. It is amazing what a little cornstarch can do to a cookie!
These cookies are chewy without being under-baked and they stay fresh for up to seven days! They are kind of a wonderful cookie. There were four other test batches before this one, and I finally got the results that I was looking for…. mouth-watering chocolaty chewy goodness.
There are a few fun little tips when trying to make a thick, chewy and soft cookie. First of all, chilling the dough results in thicker cookies. You have to chill this dough for at least 3 hours, but you can chill up to 3 days. Second, using melted butter and a dash of extra flour will result in a more chewy cookie! The Chocolate chips don’t really stick to the dough because of the butter, but if you evenly distribute them to the best of your ability, the cookies will be just fine. You can always add more to individual cookie dough balls before baking. Using more brown sugar thank white sugar will give you a very moist and soft cookie! But finally cornstarch will give you the desired softness you have been searching for! These are simple tricks and tips to making a crowd pleasing cookie that all people can enjoy!
Here is what you will need…
- 2 1/4 C. All Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1 1/2 tsp. Cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 3/4 C. Butter, melted, just a touch browned
- 1 C. Brown Sugar
- 1/4 C. Granulated Sugar
- 1 Egg + 1 Egg Yolk
- 2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 tsp. Cinnamon
- 1 1/4 C. Chocolate Chips
Here was my process…
- In a large mixing bowl lightly mix together flour, baking soda, salt and cornstarch. Place to the side.
- In a medium size bowl combine melted butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar. Whisk together until smooth and o lumps of sugar remain.
- Quickly whisk in vanilla, egg and egg yolk until well whisked!
- Pour butter mixture over flour mixture and mix until just combined. The dough will be very, very soft but that is how it is supposed to be!
- Fold in Chocolate Chips, they will not stick to the dough because of the melted butter, but again, just fold them in and you can add a few here and there if needed.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let chill for at least 3 hours and up to 3 days.
- Once chilled, let sit at room temperature for about 10 minutes. While you let the dough sit, preheat the oven to 325 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll dough into balls about 1 inch around, and place on baking mat. If you need to smush them down a bit go ahead, they will taste amazing no matter what, but the higher the ball the thicker the cookie!
- Bake at 325 degrees F for 10 – 12 minutes. The cookies will no look done, but take them out anyway. They bake for a little bit longer on the baking sheet. Let cookies sit on baking sheet for 9 minutes and then transfer to a wire cooling rack.
These cookies are so super yummy…. I am thinking about baking more right now. Not to mention they are a real treat for your tummy!