It is just starting to get a little bit warm around here, and so I have been cooking with fresh ingredients and loving every minute of it. I wanted to make some spicy spring chili with cornbread, but it just felt to boring! I love Cornbread and all, but geeze… it is really just a dull, dull bread. That can get very dry and tasteless if done wrong! Of course I am just not one of those people 😉
For Easter, the Easter Bunny (aka my mom!!!, yes, still…) brought me a guacamole basket filled with avocados, limes, tomatillos, Habanero peppers, chili peppers and jalapenos! We could only put so much in the guac, and then I made chicken tacos with some of them… they are damn spicy! So, I figured, why not Pump Up the Volume ( yes, I just went there) and pull a Christian Slater on this cornbread!
Sweet with honey (and love) and spicy with chilis! That would definitely be something to write about.
So, you will need…
- 1 1/4 C. All-Purpose flour
- 3/4 C. Corn Meal
- 1/4 C. sugar
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 C. Milk
- 1/4 C. Canola Oil
- 2 Egg Whites, beaten (NOT WHOLE EGGS)
- 2 fresh jalapenos diced
- honey to drizzle over uncooked cornbread before baking, hence the sweet and spicy… just saying!
Here was my process…
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and grease preferred method of baking pan, dish, skillet, etc.
- In a large bowl combine flour, corn meal, sugar, baking powder and salt. Mix lightly, just until everything is combined.
- Add Milk, Canola Oil and beaten egg whites. Mix well.
- Add jalapeno, diced, chopped however you like them!
- Spoon batter into prepared baking pan.
- Drizzle honey over each piece. The honey will sink into the cornbread and create a delicious crust.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes!
These are best served fresh, and don’t be afraid to add a bit more spice!