So, I was asked to make cupcakes for a birthday party, and I was very excited to have my first professional assignment. I wanted to make something that everyone could enjoy, and vanilla seems like the one thing most people can all agree on. There are certainly some out there who don’t like vanilla, but they don’t have to eat my cupcakes now do they! 😉
This is a delicate cupcake that is perfect for any occasion. Paired with a simple icing made of confectioners sugar, milk and cream cheese… it is really just a delightfully simple cupcake.
So, you will need…
*Makes 16 cupcakes
- 1 C. Granulated Sugar
- 2 tbsp Vanilla Bean, ground
- 1 3/4 C. Cake flour
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 C. Butter, softened
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 1/3 C. Sour Cream
- 1/4 C. Canola Oil
- 2/3 C. Milk
- 1 tbsp Vanilla, clear
- 2 C. powdered Sugar
- 1/4 C. Milk, more if needed
- 1/4 C. Cream Cheese
Mix all together using a hand blender. Add more milk if needed.
Here was my process…
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and prepare cupcake pans.
- In a small bowl combine the vanilla bean and sugar, let sit for a while to allow the flavor of the vanilla bean to infuse the sugar.
- In a medium bowl mix cake flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Add the vanilla bean sugar to the flour mixture until well combined. You should be able to smell the delicious vanilla!
- Add butter and mix until crumbles form.
- In a small bowl whisk eggs. Then add sour cream, canola oil and vanilla, mix until smooth.
- Add egg mixture to flour mixture until combined.
- Slowly add milk until well mixed.
- Fill prepared cupcake pans so that each cavity is half full. Believe me they will rise!
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 15 -17 minutes. Tops will not turn golden brown, so don’t over bake my little bakers!
- Cool completely before icing.
So that is all, these are very tasty and great for any occasion.Remember, the tops should be a lovely white gold color, not any darker!