Well, since my poor guy can’t eat real food yet, I wanted to make something super delicious while not being icky and mushy… like the rest of the food he can eat. Good thing this is temporary! Mashed potatoes can get so boring, although delicious, there are only so many non-dairy mashed potato recipes you can try in a week. Plus, why not make food that I can enjoy as well!? The answer, my friends, is that there is no reason not to!
SO, a few leeks, a few potatoes, some chicken stock and little fresh dill and you have yourself the best non-dairy potato leek soup you will ever try. There are minimum ingredients but don’t be fooled, the flavor is bold and satisfying. When you are feeling completely emotionally drained and hungry, this soup will ease you right into your happy place. Serve with some popovers and you wont be anything but happy.
So, what you will need…
- 3 Leeks
- 6 Large Potatoes
- 6 – 8 C. Chicken Stock, I prefer to use my own stock recipe, but you can use store-bought
- 2 Tbsp. Dill, fresh and finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. Olive oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Here was my process…
- In a large pot, sauté leeks in olive oil over medium high heat for about 10 minutes.
- Wash, peel and chop potatoes. Add to leeks and oil. sauté for another 5 minutes.
- Add chicken stock ( or water if you prefer). Let simmer until potatoes are soft and easily fall apart.
- Use immersion blender to puree soup.
- Add dill, salt and pepper.
- let simmer for about 30 minutes. Feel free to add more water if your soup is too thick.
See my popover recipe for the perfect companion to this delicious soup. Honestly, this is a real pick-me-up comfort food when times are tough. Of course, this is also a great meal for any cold weather day. Please enjoy!
Happy Soup Making!